Wednesday 23 June 2010

Writing to improve, throw away para

As I have no ideas for stories--or at least none I'm keen on--I thought I'd attempt to write a short paragraph with 1) an action that draws attention (a hook), 2) conflict with another (tension) and 3) a resolution to improve my writing. And make sure it was all "show" and no to little "tell".

It doesn't deal with motivation/why, i.e. a back-story. And I have no idea why I'm writing about violence, something I really didn't think I'd do. But I was attempting to think up a situation with action and an obstacle, and it was the first thing that came to mind. 

Anyway, practice makes moderately satisfactory. All comments and suggestions welcome, etc.

Neil's forearm and half-clenched fist thudded upon the grass, breaking his body's sideways fall. Clawing his fingers into the muddy grass, he looked to see the guard staring at him. "I will use my sword next time." Twisting to grip the grass from behind his head, he swung his boots upwards sending the guard flying to the ground. Neil heard the guard's sword clang on the ground and saw the open gate in full for the first time. Wrenching his body straight, he ran towards and past it, harried by the guard's cries of anger as he chased. But Neil relaxed. He knew the guard would not leave his post to chase him further, not even for a successful trespasser.

2 comments: